Table of Contents
We live in an “online” world now.
The way we set up our online profiles is what makes people notice and connect with us.
This is especially important for LinkedIn because that's where you meet most of your future clients/employers.
With these tips, we’ll make sure that your LinkedIn profile stands out in the 930 million LinkedIn user crowd.
But hey, I totally get it – it might seem daunting. Believe me, I had my fair share of struggles with LinkedIn too.
That's why, in this blog post, I'm talking about 45 simple and proven LinkedIn profile tips to help you stand out.
So read on if you don't want to miss out on:
🤝More Connections and Leads: A well-crafted LinkedIn profile attracts connections. People are more likely to connect and do business with you when they see an informative and engaging profile.
🚀 Your Dream Job: According to a recent LinkedIn study, 77% of recruiters use LinkedIn to find candidates. You might pass up your dream job if your profile isn't up to par.
🌟More Opportunities: A strong LinkedIn profile can open doors to speaking engagements, guest blogging, and even job offers.
✅Tested and perfected these tips,
✅Attracted 100+ clients, and
✅Grow my network by 10k+ on Linkedin.
And now, it's your turn to make your LinkedIn profile perfect.
How to make a LinkedIn profile?
Okay, so, before we dive into creating the perfect LinkedIn profile, let's start with the basics: “How do you even make a LinkedIn profile? ”
So, to create a LinkedIn profile, just follow the steps below:
- Go to the LinkedIn website and click on the "Join Now" button.
- Enter your first and last name, email address, and password.
- Select your country and location.
- Click on the "Join Now" button again.
- Complete your profile information, including your headline, summary, work experience, education, skills, and interests.
- Add a professional headshot (now or later).
- Click on the "Save" button.
Once you've created your profile, you can start connecting with other LinkedIn users. You can also join groups and follow companies that you're interested in.
Top 5 LinkedIn Profile Picture Tips: Make a Strong First Impression
This is where your LinkedIn story starts - your profile picture. It's like a virtual first impression.
Imagine scrolling through profiles, and you see a profile without a profile pic. Does that grab your attention? Nah, probably not!
That’s why adding a well-lit, professional-looking profile picture won't just catch people's attention but also make them feel like they trust you more.
A proper profile picture is like a friendly, confident hello. It tells people you're a real person they can trust.
Here are a few tips:
Tip #1: Use a professional headshot
- Getting a professional headshot shows you're serious about how you look and how you come across to others. It's worth the investment, trust me!
- Choose a photographer who knows how to take good business headshots.
Tip #2: Smile
- A genuine smile conveys warmth, approachability, and confidence. It makes you appear more likable and approachable, encouraging others to connect with you.
- Avoid forced or overly wide smiles, as they can come across as insincere. Aim for a natural, relaxed smile that reflects your genuine personality.
Tip #3: Dress professionally
- When you're picking your profile pic, make sure your outfit matches what's normal in your job. Go for clean, wrinkle-free clothes that fit you nicely.
- Avoid too casual or revealing attire, as it may not convey the professionalism of LinkedIn.
Tip #4: Use a simple background
- A plain or slightly blurred background ensures that the focus remains on you, the subject of the photo. Avoid busy or distracting backgrounds that might detract from your presence.
Tip # 5: Don't add a video profile pic!
- LinkedIn is not friendly with Video profile pics anymore. From December 14th, 2023, they’ll be removing all profile videos from LinkedIn.
6 Tips to Make an Eye-Catching LinkedIn Banner
The next step is to add a banner to your LinkedIn profile.
Your LinkedIn banner is your digital billboard. It's one of the first things people see when they visit your profile, so make sure it counts.
A well-designed banner can help you:
- Make a great first impression
- Communicate your personal brand
- Stand out from the crowd
- Drive traffic to your website or blog
Like this example-
Yeah I just used my own LinkedIn banner as an example, bragging over!
Here are some tips for creating an effective LinkedIn banner:
Tip #1: Use high-quality images.
- Your banner should use high-quality images. Avoid using blurry or pixelated images, or images that are not relevant to your industry.
Tip #2: Use clear and concise text.
- If you choose to include text on your banner, make sure it is clear and concise. Keep your message to a few short lines, and use a font that is easy to read.
Tip #3: Use your company logo or branding (if any)
- If you have a company logo or branding, include it in your banner. This will help people recognize your brand and associate it with you.
Tip #4: Include a call to action
- You could ask them to visit your website, connect with you on LinkedIn, or learn more about your services.
Tip #5: Use consistent Color Palette
- Your banner should use colors that are consistent with your personal brand or company branding.
Tip #6: Use a strong visual hierarchy
- Make sure the most important information on your banner is easy to see.
4 Best LinkedIn Profile Headline Tips - Grab Attention!
Alright, you've got a cool profile pic and an eye-catching banner on your profile. What's next? Your profile headline.
LinkedIn profile headline is that snappy one-liner right under your name. It's like a tiny trailer for your professional life – a quick glimpse of who you are at work.
It also helps others find you, connect with you, and see what makes you special. So, make it count!
Here are the top 4 LinkedIn profile headline tips:
Tip #1: Keep it Short and Sweet:
Describe your designation and what you do concisely, separated by “|.” For example, “Co-Founder ReviewGain | Helping Businesses Get More Reviews.”
Tip #2: Use Action Words:
A one-liner that sums up who you are and what you can do with the right action words adds a great definition to your profile.
Tip #3: Add a little Humour🌟:
- You can try adding a unique element that sets you apart. It could be a specific skill, your passion, or a niche focus.
- For example,
"Social Entrepreneur | Empowering Communities"
"Tech Enthusiast | Making the World Smarter One Byte at a Time."
- Also, this doesn't have to be strictly work-related. You can also write "Dedicated Parent," for example.
Tip #4: Use Specific Keywords:
You can tailor it for your dream client/job, use keywords that are specific to your industry and interest.
This LinkedIn profile is a good example, as we can clearly see what field she’s working in and where her passions lie.
It is like a mini elevator 🛗 pitch. A well-crafted headline can boost your professional image and help you get noticed by the right people.
5 Tips for a Great LinkedIn Profile Summary (About Section):
Your LinkedIn profile is your online resume, and your profile summary - the About Section - is one of the most important sections. It's your chance to tell your story and highlight your skills and experience in a way that will impress potential employers or clients.
Tip #1: Be clear about your skills.
- Use strong verbs and an active voice.
- Quantify your accomplishments. For example, instead of saying "increased sales," say "increased sales by 15% in one year."
- Keep your summary concise and to the point. Aim for no more than 250 words.
Tip #2: Use industry-relevant keywords and the types of jobs you're interested in.
- This will help your profile show up in searches by recruiters and potential prospects.
- For example, if you're a marketing manager, use keywords like "digital marketing," "content marketing," and "social media marketing."
Tip #3: Proofread before you hit 'publish.'
- Always tell a story in the About section, even if you’re talking about your achievements, weave it into a story and not a pitch.
- But make sure to get rid of typos and grammar mistakes, it can make you seem careless and unprofessional.
Tip #4: Make the best use of CTA.
- Use a call to action at the end of your summary.
- For example, you could say "I'm always looking for new challenges and opportunities. If you're looking for a skilled and experienced [job title], please connect with me."
Tip #5: Don’t forget about formatting.
- Use bullet points and numbered lists to break up your text and make it more readable.
- Make sure you write small paragraphs, no paragraph should be more than more than 30 words long.
- Leave spaces between paragraphs to make it look readable.
- Use bold and italics sparingly to emphasize important points.
6 More LinkedIn Profile Tips- Flaunt Your Skills, Endorsements, and Recommendations
Nowadays, folks care more about what you can do than the fancy degrees you have, so it’s important to flaunt those skills!
LinkedIn's search algorithm prioritizes profiles that include relevant skills. By adding your relevant skills and expertise to your LinkedIn profile, you increase your visibility to a wider pool of potential clients and partners.
When you add relevant skills to your LinkedIn profile-
- Your profile is more likely to appear in search results when potential clients are looking for your services. This means more conversations and more leads!
- And, if people endorse your skills and drop personal recommendations, boom! You and your profile become super trustworthy.
Here are 7 top tips on how to show your skills on LinkedIn:
Tip #1: List your skills and experiences.
- Ensure your LinkedIn profile is fully filled out to provide a clear snapshot of your skills and experiences.
- LinkedIn has a dedicated "Skills" section on your profile. Add your key skills there.
Tip #2: Seek endorsements for your Skills
LinkedIn endorsements are a feature on the LinkedIn platform that allows you to support your connections' skills. When you endorse someone, you confirm they're good at what their profile says. It adds credibility to their professional strengths.
To maximize endorsements-
- Request endorsements only from relevant connections - people who actually know you or you’ve worked with
- Specify the skills you want the endorsement for.
- Reciprocate - You can even endorse first, and then request one back.
Don’t these little pats on the back feel nice?
However, requesting endorsements from your LinkedIn connections can be a time-consuming task. You have to send personalized messages to each of your connections, and you have to track who has endorsed you and who hasn't.
Want to make it easier? Let me show you a way.
You can create a template message to send to your connections, and you can schedule Salesrobot to send the messages at specific times.
Salesrobot can also notify you once someone has responded to your endorsement request.
Here's how Salesrobot can help you:
- Save time
- Get more endorsements
Tip #3: Request personalized recommendations
You can request recommendations from colleagues, supervisors, or clients who can speak to your skills and work. These LinkedIn recommendations are a boon to your profile.
Why They Matter:
- They make you look trustworthy.
- They help your profile show up more in searches.
- Employers and clients like to read what other people think about you.
For Job Hunters and Business Owners:
Recommendations help you stand out when looking for jobs or clients.
In short, LinkedIn recommendations are like online pats on the back that prove you're great at your job.
How to Get Them:
- Ask people you’ve worked with.
- Explain why you need the recommendation.
- Get recommendations from different people to show you're awesome at different skills.
- Then, offer something in return, like a gift card.
- And be thankful.
You can even run automated message campaigns on LinkedIn asking for recommendations.
To run automated message campaigns, you can use LinkedIn automation tools, like Salesrobot.
With Salesrobot, you can personalize and schedule your messages for getting the recommendations you need.
To create an automated message campaign asking for recommendations, you will need to:
- Choose a LinkedIn automation tool.
- Create a list of people you want to ask for recommendations with Salesrobot.
- Create a personalized message requesting it
- Schedule your campaign.
Here are some tips for running a successful automated message campaign:
- Personalize your messages as much as possible.
- Keep your messages short and to the point.
- Make it easy for people to respond.
- Follow up with people who don't respond.
- Don't abuse automation.
No matter which method you choose, it is important to be respectful of people's time and to only send messages to people who are likely to be interested in recommending you.
How to Use Them:
- These glowing recommendations go on your profile.
- You can choose which ones to show.
- Make sure you’re showing off the most recent ones at the top.
Tip #4: Add your Skills to the Experience Section.
In your work history, demonstrate how you've used your skills to achieve specific outcomes. Providing real-world examples adds depth to your profile.
Tip #5: Highlight relevant certifications.
You can also mention relevant certifications or courses you've completed to showcase your commitment to skill development.
Tip #6: LinkedIn Skill Assessments: Validate your skills.
Take LinkedIn Skill Assessment tests in your areas of expertise and earn badges for your skills.
And that's all there is to it! When you showcase your skills along with endorsements and recommendations, you instantly boost your credibility.
This leads to more opportunities, more customers, and more money for you.
LinkedIn Service Page - Show What You Offer With These 4 Easy Tips!
4 Reasons to Share Your Services on Linkedin:
- Your clients know you better - People know exactly what you offer on LinkedIn.
- Looks like an expert- Sharing your services means you know your stuff and are confident in letting the world know.
- Get more clients- You’ll boost your chances of attracting new clients if you have an optimized services page
Well, look who it is again. 👀
Here are 4 tips on how to create the perfect Services Page:
Tip #1: List down the service you provide
Mention clearly what services you offer and how you are different from others.
You can do so by adding your services from the drop-down menu and you’re good to go. Here’s an example:
Tip #2: Setup your price
Being upfront about prices is super important. When you're clear about how much things cost, it makes things less confusing. It also helps people figure out if your services fit their budget.
Bonus Tip: List your prices in the currency your prospects are familiar with.
Tip #3: Request Reviews
- Good reviews and happy clients talking about their experiences serve as powerful social proof that boosts your credibility.
- Encourage your existing clients to leave reviews on your service page. You can invite up to 20 past clients to review your service in a month.
Tip #4: Add Work Samples
- Mention what you are an expert at and show your skills and knowledge through case studies, testimonials, and industry certifications.
- Use images, videos, and presentations to show your work and experience. You can add up to 8 media items to showcase your services and experience.
Showing your services on LinkedIn is a fantastic way to grow your business and meet new clients.
4 Tips To Keep LinkedIn Profile Up-to-date
Here are some tips for keeping your LinkedIn profile always up-to-date:
Tip #1. Update your profile picture and background image regularly.
- Your profile picture is the first thing that people will see, so make sure it is a professional and up-to-date photo.
Tip #2. Keep your headline and summary up-to-date.
- Make sure you update the headline to include your current designation and client base.
Tip #3. Update your experience section regularly.
As you gain new experience, be sure to add it to your LinkedIn profile. Include your job title, company name, dates of employment, and a brief description of your responsibilities.
Tip #4. Add new skills and endorsements.
Skills and endorsements are a great way to show off your expertise. Add new skills as you learn them, and ask your connections to endorse your skills.
Our 4 Best LinkedIn Featured Section Tips
The LinkedIn Featured Section is a section on your LinkedIn profile that allows you to showcase your best work and expertise. It is a great way to make a good impression on potential employers, clients, and other LinkedIn users.
Tip #1: Showcase your top achievements.
Take up that space to fill it with the things you have achieved. Share your biggest achievements to catch people's eye and prove your worth fast.
Tip #2: Showcase the most relevant content to your target audience.
Make a narrative in the featured section, showing your best content!
- It could include articles, blog posts, presentations, videos, or even code samples. Show off your best performing Linkedin posts.
- Use strong visuals- High-quality images and videos can capture attention and make your Featured Section more engaging.
Tip #3 Keep it updated.
Regularly add new content to your Featured Section to keep it fresh and interesting.
Tip #4 Experiment with different types of content.
- There's no one-size-fits-all approach to the Featured Section.
- Try different types of content to see what resonates best with your audience.
Here’s an example of a good LinkedIn Featured Section.
LinkedIn Creator Mode - 7 Tips to Become a LinkedIn Pro!
Next, let’s talk about some tips on LinkedIn creator mode.
Activating LinkedIn creator mode 🔥😎 can help you make your LinkedIn profile better in the following ways:
- Showcase expertise and thought leadership.
- Reach a broader audience.
- Build valuable professional connections.
- Create high-quality content
And to use LinkedIn as an influencer, you need to create content that is informative, engaging, and relevant to your audience. You should also be active on LinkedIn, sharing articles, commenting on other people's posts, and joining in on relevant conversations.
Here are the top 7 tips on how to optimize your LinkedIn profile for Creator Mode and if you’re a LinkedIn Influencer:
Tip #1. Enable Creator Mode
The first step to optimizing your profile for Creator Mode is to enable it. To do this,
- Click on your profile picture and then select "View Profile."
- Scroll down to the "Resources" section and click on "Creator Mode: Off."
- A pop-up window will appear, click "Next" and then "Add Topics."
- Select up to five topics that best represent your expertise.
- Finally, click "Save" to enable Creator Mode.
Tip #2. Optimize Profile Visuals
Use a professional banner, craft a compelling headline, and keep visuals consistent.
Tip #3. Showcase Your Best and Mix It Up!
- Utilize the Featured section to showcase your top-performing articles, posts, or external links.
- You can also experiment with text, images, videos, and polls to discover what resonates best with you and your audience.
Tip #4. Engage Your Audience
Respond to comments, ask questions, and foster discussions for a vibrant community.
Tip #5. Track Performance with Analytics
Leverage Creator Mode analytics to understand post views, engagement, and follower growth.
Tip #6. Collaborate and Network
Expand your reach by collaborating with other creators or professionals in your industry.
Tip #7: Get endorsements and recommendations.
In this example, we can see they have mentioned what they’re good at and proof of it through their achievements. You’ll get exactly what you see here.
This profile has legit endorsements and recommendations, which gives them the extra edge they need to win over their clients.
By following these tips, you can create a strong LinkedIn profile that will help you position yourself as an influencer and reach a wider audience with your content.
How to Make the Best Use of Your Optimized LinkedIn Profile?
Now you know how to make the perfect LinkedIn profile, but how do you make the best use of it?
The more people you connect with, the higher your chances of getting noticed for job openings, referrals, and all those wonderful things LinkedIn can do for your career.
So, once you create the perfect LinkedIn profile, you should:
✅Connect with more people in your industry, especially potential clients.
✅Join LinkedIn groups, attend events and network there.
✅Follow thought leaders and leave insightful comments so people check out your profile.
There’s one little problem, however.
Doing all of this yourself would take a lot of time!
You can’t possibly be spending hour after hour manually looking for people to connect with.
Surely, you already have a lot on your plate right now.
I get it.
That’s why I built… no prize for guessing… Salesrobot!
With Salesrobot, you can sit back while it sends connection requests and personalized messages on your behalf.
It even does the follow, like, and comment routine on autopilot.
And it’s not just about mindlessly liking and commenting. It leaves insightful comments that will make people want to check you out.
You know those LinkedIn groups and events you’re a part of?
Well, this powerful tool has your back there, too.
It helps you connect with future clients through those groups, making your network scale quickly.
Whether it's building connections, finding future clients, or getting those warm leads in your inbox , Salesrobot is like having a robot buddy doing the heavy lifting while you can focus on your business or your family!
Pretty sweet, right?
Let’s dive a bit deeper in the next section.
How to Make Use of Your LinkedIn Profile to Get More Leads?
Let’s see how we can use our LinkedIn profile to get more leads without
❌Copy-pasting the same message to your connections.
❌Spending the better part of your day looking for potential clients.
❌Clicking 50,000 buttons.
❌Getting frustrated by trying to talk to people who don’t want to talk to you!
Enough of all that!
Here are 5 easy steps to find your dream leads and connect with them to grow your business.
Add your LinkedIn account on Salesrobot
Just paste your LinkedIn profile’s URL here to get started.
Go to LinkedIn, search for your target leads
Filter them out according to location, company, industry, etc.
Copy the LinkedIn search URL/Sales Nav URL, paste it, and click on save
Salesrobot takes the list from LinkedIn/Sales Nav and starts messaging them.
Oh, and another cool thing: it lets you bypass LinkedIn rules by letting you send more than 200 messages every single day on autopilot!
Add messaging sequence
Our powerful tool goes through profiles and creates hyper-personalized messages (like mentioning what kind of volunteering work they did or which college they went to, and so on) to seem genuine.
The bot will keep sending messages, liking, commenting on posts, following up on your behalf, and creating a bond before getting down to business.
Ohh btw, we get 33%+ response rates on our LinkedIn campaigns.
Also we auto-detect as soon as a prospect replies, you can take over from there!
And yes, you can edit and customize each message along the way.
Click on Start Campaign
Just press a button. That’s it. And let the magic begin without you having to lift a finger!
There’s also a full-blown analytics dashboard for you to keep track of what’s working and what isn’t in the campaign.
It keeps getting better, doesn’t it?
Yeah, I thought so too; humblebrag over! 😎
So, now that we understand what all you can do with an optimized profile, let's take a look at some LinkedIn profile tips based on different industries.
These are tips aimed at your industry. Let’s dive in!
LinkedIn Profile Tips for a Sales and Marketing Professional:
You know the drill already, but here are some bonus tips for you to really outshine in the LinkedIn landscape as a professional.
Here are some additional tips specific to sales and marketing professionals for crafting a compelling LinkedIn profile:
Tip #1. Emphasize your sales and marketing achievements:
- Quantify your accomplishments using numbers, percentages, and metrics.
- Highlight specific examples of how you've increased sales, generated leads, or improved customer engagement.
- Showcase your ability to identify and understand customer needs.
Tip #2. Position yourself as a thought leader:
- Write engaging LinkedIn posts on sales and marketing topics.
- Speak at LinkedIn events or webinars.
- Collaborate with others.
- You can also enable creator mode for their LinkedIn profile.
Tip #3. Use keywords & hashtags that are relevant to sales and marketing:
- Include keywords in your headline, summary, and experience sections.
- Use relevant hashtags when sharing content or participating in discussions, like #SalesTips, #DigitalMarketing, #LeadGeneration, #ContentMarketing, #SEO, and more.
Tip #4. Connect with other sales and marketing professionals:
- Join LinkedIn groups related to sales and marketing.
- Attend industry events and networking gatherings.
- Follow thought leaders and influencers in the sales and marketing field. Also, comment on their posts.
Now let's take a look at a well-crafted LinkedIn sales and marketing profile:
LinkedIn Profile Tips for a Job Seeker:
If you're just starting out, include these elements in your LinkedIn profile to land your dream job:
Tip #1: Add recent education.
Tip #2: Portray relevant skills and talents.
Tip #3: Show your experience (Volunteering, Personal Projects)
Tip #4: Post your Projects and Publications
Tip #5: Show your Awards and Honors.
Tip #6: Make a Tailored Summary- Focus on strengths, ambitions, and career aspirations.
Here’s an example:
This profile highlights the user’s educational achievements as she progresses in her career.
LinkedIn Profile Tips for a College Student:
A smart approach is for a student to begin their LinkedIn profile early, allowing more time for experimentation and learning what suits them best.
Starting when you're already in a job means you need to excel right away.
Otherwise, you might find yourself Googling "how to craft a LinkedIn profile as a professional" and, well, reading someone (that's me, by the way, 😎) providing a detailed guide on LinkedIn profile tips. But don't worry, no judgment here! 😉
But seriously, it's good to invest that time to create a professional-looking profile from early on.
Tip #1: Include your current and past educational experiences.
Tip #2: Internships or part-time jobs? Don't forget to mention them.
Tip #3: Got cool class projects or publications? Show them.
Tip #4: Connect with professionals and network with alumni.
Tip #5: Profile summary- Highlight educational journey, campus involvement, and career goals.
Remember, this is your personal brand, so make it stand out while keeping it professional!
LinkedIn Profile Tips for a Small-Medium Business Owner:
Optimizing your LinkedIn profile as a small-medium business owner enhances your professional visibility, credibility, and networking. It also enables lead generation, industry insights, company promotion, and recruitment.
Here are some tips for creating a strong LinkedIn profile as an SMB owner:
Tip #1: List products/services in the "Featured" section.
Tip #2: Encourage client recommendations.
Tip #3: Join industry-related groups.
Tip #4: Customize your public profile URL.
Tip #5: Review profile analytics regularly.
Here’s an example of a strong LinkedIn profile of a small-medium business owner:
By using these suggestions, you can make a great solo entrepreneur profile. This makes you stand out as a leader in your field and attract potential clients when reaching out or networking on LinkedIn.
Conclusion: Your LinkedIn profile is your personal brand
Yes. You bet it is.
Job seekers, students, solopreneurs, or marketing professionals, whoever you are. Your LinkedIn profile is super important for growing your career.
From updating your profile picture, using the right keywords, getting proper recommendations, adding new skills, and more, in this blog, we saw how each little thing can make (or break) your brand.
We also saw how you can grow your business quickly using a LinkedIn automation tool like Salesrobot that helps you generate warm leads and make meaningful connections with potential clients on autopilot.
They say the best things in life are free. And I happen to (somewhat) agree.
And that’s why we have a FREE 14-day trial of Salesrobot.
We don’t need your credit card.
We don’t even need your phone number.
We just want you to give it a shot and see if it works for you.
Well, that’s it for now.
Hope to see y’all around.
Get free leads for 14 days
Start generating high-quality leads in next 60 mins
(like our 3000+ users do)
Thoughts, Notes & Tutorials
Get free leads for 14 days
Start generating high-quality leads in next 60 mins
(like our 3000+ users do)